Monday, February 6, 2012

Purses and the Sabbath

As I promised, a post about Sabbath reflections.

Last week at work we had some down-time (a very rare occurrence!) and I got to talking about religion with one of my coworkers who is Jewish.  She was talking about going to temple and having to tuck her tube of lipstick in the waistband of her skirt since you aren't suppose to take your purse into temple.

Not take your purse to church?  What are you suppose to do with your cell-phone, checkbook, credit cards and cash?  Or your lipstick, lotion, hairbrush...or whatever else you happen to NEED with you at all times?  I asked her why purses were not allowed in the temple and she said that you aren't suppose to deal with money or finances on the Sabbath.  She said that the church members still tithe, but they don't bring their money to the temple on the Sabbath, instead they send their tithes in the mail or drop them off on another day.

Hmmm....

I got to thinking about this.  I am not Jewish, but I am intrigued by the idea of not bringing my purse to church on Sunday.

Why?

What does a purse represent?  It represents what it holds: wordly belongings.  My valuables.

Coach is just a name.


Wallet: full of credit cards, debit cards, banking information, and cash (<--not as much as I'd like though!).

Checkbook: though I hardly use it anymore because debit cards are so handy!

Black filing folio: with coupons for stores that I go to often


Planner: which has EVERYTHING in it-- my many "to do" lists (In fact, I have a whole moleskin book dedicated to my many "to do" lists...crazy I know) and my work schedule.  Without it I would be lost.

Photo album with pictures of my precious little boy...all of which you've probably already seen since I post so many pictures of him!

Personal care items: perfume, hairbrush, mirror and some other "female things" that don't deserve to be photographed.  :)




The contents of my purse.  Where's the Bible in all that stuff?  Just sayin'.



What do all these things represent: my wealth, my time, my vanity... Not to mention my purse itself, which is a designer purse (although I did buy it at the outlet store for 70% off, it still represents wealth and vanity.  That's not to say that I think that owning a coach purse -- or any other designer purse for that matter -- is a bad thing, but I know that my desire to buy this purse came out of a desire to "have" a "status symbol". Our society places value on certain things, and at the time I felt that because people value expensive purses that if I had one I would be viewed as more successful, put-together, and more deserving of respect from those around me.  I mean, I could afford a coach purse.

...at 70% off.  ;)

(And I worked extra incentive hours at work to pay for it).  I do like the purse now (perhaps mostly for the comments I get on it...), but I wouldn't have normally made a purchase like this.

So, I think that this Sunday I will attend church SANS coach purse.  Or any other purse for that matter.  The purse carries the worldly things I have decided are valuable to me and I want to make sure that I keep those things in their proper place.  Money has a purpose and is necessary, however we need to be diligent in being good stewards of God's blessings and not worshiping money.  Planners are important to keep us on schedule, but we need to make sure that we are allowing room for God's plans for our day.  Lip gloss and bobby pins and mirrors and brushes are good to have around, but it's important not to let our looks become more important than the inner beauty God wants us to cultivate.  So this Sunday, instead of bringing my purse and all it's contents, I will bring the diaper bag.  The ever-stylish tote filled to the brim with diapers (both clean and dirty), wipes and butt cream.


Sounds chic!



The diaper bag isn't that bad, is it?


Disclaimer: I am in no way suggesting that a girl can't have nice things (I think that a girl should have a few nice, classic pieces in their wardrobe, but it's important to make sure that those things aren't bought as idols or as status symbols.  If you've worked hard and decided to treat yourself with a new purse.  Go for it!  Just make sure it's because you like it, not because our society values it)

No comments:

Post a Comment